ABC30 Features The Prime Grill Cookbook Quinoa Cake Latke Recipe
QUINOA CAKE “LATKES”
From The Prime Grill Cookbook: Redefining the Kosher Experience by David Kolotikin and Joey Allaham
2 tablespoons extra-light olive oil plus oil for frying
¼ cup onion, small dice
2/3 cup quinoa
1 and 1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon kosher salt plus 1 pinch
¾ cup flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons soy milk
Salt to taste
- In a heavy gauge saucepan, preferably stainless steel, warm two tablespoons of oil and sweat the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add the quinoa and stir for a few seconds to coat all the grains with oil.
- Add the water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a dry mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and one tablespoon of kosher salt and mix well.
- Add the egg and the soy milk and mix until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Add two cups of the cooked quinoa and mix.
- Heat two to three tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot, spoon batter into small pancakes (about the size of your fist) and fry for 30-60 seconds on each side, or until golden brown.